Friday, September 21, 2012

Kids Love Writing!

I wish I could show you all the wonderful moments that happen during writing...when I share the schedule in the morning, children exclaim, "I love writing!" If we've missed writing for some reason, I hear a chorus of groans! They are wonderful little writers, too!

 Our writing unit is currently focusing on routines and writing focused on personal experiences we call "small moments." Each child writes about something that has happened to him or to her. Now, we have some budding fiction and non-fiction writers who just can't help writing about things they "know a lot about." I'm not in the business of squashing anyone's hopes and dreams and right now I'm focusing on developing a love for the written word! So far, so good!

 Every 4-6 weeks, their writing will come home for you to see! We'll also look at their work at conferences. I've kept some samples and will continue to do so as the year progresses!

Here are some comments from the end of writing when I asked to collect the folders to read at night..."I've got a really long story-I hope you have time to read it!" and "Mine is kind of sad, but don't worry, the ending is happy!" and "Be careful! Mine is scary!" (I promised not to read his story before bed!

No comments: