Friday, October 5, 2012

Capture the Coin! New homework!

Happy Friday! Here is a short video with directions on how to play Capture the Coin...tonight's new math homework! Nisha is helping me demonstrate how to play the game! And there's a clip of Oliver and I playing mid-way through the game.

All students need practice with coins.I am trying very hard not to jump in when they are unsure about coins. I am trying in each clip to wait...to give them each time to figure it out on their own. You can hear several times where Nisha says the correct answers then changes her mind to an incorrect answer and I wait while she once again changes her mind to the correct answer. Try really hard to wait and see what your child says and does with some wait time! Listen, too, as I ask a lot of questions! "What coin is this?" "What is it worth?" I say this over and over so they have many opportunities to name each coin and say its value.




Next is a short clip with Oliver and I playing the same game. Pay special attention to his counting strategies for coins!



No comments: