Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Latkes and Menorahs

Yesterday we learned a little bit about the Jewish holiday Hanukkah and each child made a beautiful menorah.  Actually, we started them yesterday and finished today.  I read them a poem that explains why Jewish people celebrate Hanukkah and that it isn't just a Jewish Christmas!  The class was interested in the story of Hanukkah and how they had to defeat the King of Syria because he wouldn't let them pray the way they wanted.  It didn't take long for them to notice that the King of Syria was a little bit like the King of England from the Pilgrim story.  Today we made potato latkes.  Your children peeled and grated potatoes and some even helped to chop onion into very small little pieces!  We mixed the egg, flour, potato and onion together and then I did the frying.  As much as I like to cook with children, hot oil makes me a little nervous!  I served them with a dill pickle and they loved the latkes!  Check out these awesome menorahs and my helpful little chefs!




 


 

 




No comments: