Friday, February 1, 2013

Will he or won't he...?

Will he or won't he...see his shadow, of course! Today we read a few books about groundhog day and then each child made a groundhog! Our graph asked if he will or he won't see his shadow...here are the results!



We've had a really fun week, but we've been missing a few students each day! Wednesday saw only 11 children arrive for school! Beware the bug going around! I've got them washing hands all the time or at least using hand sanitizer! Not sure if it helps, but it's all we can do!!!

This week we met our student intern from UVM! Her name is Emily LaFantano and she's here to work with us on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. She has some course assignments to complete which include teaching some lessons. I am here while she teaches and work as her daily supervisor. She has a UVM supervisor who may pop in from time to time and her name is Binta. Your child may talk about Miss LaFantano...she's very energetic and enthusiastic about teaching and the children love her already! I can't wait to get to know her better!

Today the class had a spelling test for Unit 9 in Fundations. The focus of the unit was "closed syllables" which are syllables with one vowel followed by a consonant which makes the vowel sound short. Some examples are: cap, ship, golf, off, print, chick, and many, many other words. There are six syllable types and first graders learn as many as three of them. Most of the words they've learned up to this point are closed syllables. The words are getting harder and harder as they are responsible for all they've learned up to this point! When necessary, I've been providing opportunities for extra support! I'll let you know if your child needs more support from home!

This month I'll be trying to complete reading assessments in preparation for our March report cards! I'll be trying to teach reading while also giving children one to one assessments! Some days I will not be able to introduce a new book, but they have many, many books in their book tubs and we have many in our classroom library to browse!

This month is dental health month and I Love to Read month. Our school holds a reading celebration along with a bookmark contest. I don't have any details right now, but I'll let you know when I get more information!

It's getting chilly down here in Antarctica, but the kids sure do love the penguins! For $9.99 I bought a tube of plastic penguins at A.C. Moore and they are sure to bring us hours and hours of fun! (I tell you this because they ALL want to know where I bought them so you can buy them some, too!)

I think that's it for this week! Have a great weekend!

No comments: