Friday, January 28, 2011

Bursting News!

As you know, our field trip to Shelburne Farms was canceled due to the extremely cold weather! However, the good news is...it was rescheduled! Yeah! On Wednesday, February 2, we'll be traveling to Shelburne Farms for the field trip! Kids will still need outdoor gear as much of the field trip takes place outside...looking for animal tracks! Kids also need a lunch from home that day! This week, eager children have been bringing in evidence of animals...rabbit fur...rabbit scat...a tree branch that was chewed by a hungry animal...these kids are definitely ready to get into the woods! If it turns out you can join the class, please send a note! We arrive at 9:30 and leave at 1:30!

Another bit of bursting news...I will not be with the class next week on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to attend a technology conference. In preparation for my absence, I tried out some "new" technology and videotaped myself teaching Fundations...at least there will be 18 kids riveted by my award-winning performance...ha! I'm excited to learn new ways to use my nifty new smart board. I'll be checking my email daily if a question pops up!

The second quarter of school ended today and report cards will be coming home next Friday. It's hard to believe that half of the school year is done already! On the report card you'll find, among other important things, your child's reading level. We assessed students this month in order to report student growth! This is a crew of kids who are really excited about books and learning! More and more your children are choosing "just right" books from the library. And when I ask kids to choose books to take home to read, they ask to take more than one! Yeah! Happy reading!

Next week our class begins a new unit in math all about penguins! They're going to be living and breathing penguins all day for about 3 weeks! If you have any books to share, or information about penguins, please let me know if you're willing to loan us those books!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: